Adult Corn Snake?
When deciding on the right corn snake to buy it's important to decide whether you want a baby or adult, or something in between. There are several advantages for starting out with an older corn snake:
- Adult corn snakes may be easier to handle since they aren't so small
- Adults have a history of eating and shedding, so you're more likely to know what you're getting into
- If you're going to breed you can shave off a few years of preparation and be ready for next season
- With adults you can often find "proven breeders", which have successfully produced offspring before
- Since baby corn snakes can often change in coloration as they mature, having an adult leaves no guessing
- It will be harder for an adult to escape and easier to find it should it happen
There are many advantages to owning an adult corn snake vs a baby, but you might also find some disadvantages:
- Adults usually cost more to purchase than babies
- Taming an adult snake may be more difficult and time consuming
- Feeding and care will be more expensive with an older snake
- It can be quite difficult to find a specific morph or look
- You won't have the chance to see it grow it up and tame it yourself
- Should an adult corn snake bite, it's more likely to leave a mark
- You might not know anything about the snakes history, including any past health issues
As with buying a baby corn snake, there are pros and cons that should be considered in making your choice in purchasing a corn snake. Either way you choose, you will likely be happy with your choice.
Go to more corn snake articles or see available adult corn snakes for sale.